Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Reflection of Class

When I walked into class on day 1, I thought I already had an advantage over most of the students in the class. I assumed that no one there was going to be a sex positive new wave feminist and my best friend was exactly that already so I already knew everything. I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I couldn't even answer the first question on the questioner given to us. I believe I stated that feminism is an act of women empowerment, or has to do with issues pertaining to women. After going through this class, I know that that is obviously not all. I took away and learned about intersectionality, how class has such a powerful clutch on how you are seen and "graded" among other people. I learned about the dangers of masculinity if we don't change how we are raising our boys. I learned about race, and how even in 2012, we're still so racist, and one of the scariest things I've learned is how much the media has an effect on youth (and others). After taking this class, I've realized what I would like to do in the future, and how I would like to help and act as an ally, so I guess I am coming back next semester and I plan on taking away and learning more from my next classes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment